Light version of classic sweet & sour chicken breast recipe
Sweet & sour chicken breast with basmati rice is a dish we all know well, like and often have. We present a recipe for lighter version of this classic dish. It’s packed with variety of veggies for a better taste and more nutrition. This dish takes less than half an hour in preparation and is loaded with vitamins B6, C, E, niacin, selenium, folate and so much more! Chicken is a great source of lean proteins, so this dish is perfect after a workout. This recipe is a must try!
- 2 medium size chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 1 diced green pepper
- 1 diced red pepper
- 2 chopped spring onions
- 2 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon of grated ginger
- diced canned pineapples (4-5 slices)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 100g basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons pineapple juice (from the can)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1,5 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon low in sugar and sodium tomato ketchup
- Heat the vegetable oil in a wok or a skillet over a high heat and cook the chicken for 5 minutes until, then transfer onto a plate.
- Stir-fry the peppers and spring onions for 5 minutes. Next add the garlic and ginger, and cook for 1 more minute.
- Put the cornflour and sugar into a small bowl, pour in the pineapple juice, soy and vinegar and stir until smooth, then add the ketchup and 100 ml of water.
- Pour the mixture into the pan, add the chicken and cook for 10 minutes - the sauce should thicken and the chicken should be cooked through. In the last two minutes add the pineapple chunks.
Your chicken in sweet & sour sauce is ready. Serve with basmati rice and enjoy for lunch or light dinner!