Healthy rye & spelt crust pizza recipe
To our displeasure we won’t find pizza among the healthy foods options, but we can make it ourselves it in the healthiest way possible! For all the pizza lovers, who don’t want to resign from their favourite dish, we recommend the rye and spelt crust pizza and lots of veggies on top. The toppings we suggest are vegetarian, classic and rich in vitamins, particularly vitamins A, C and E, and the spelt and rye crust is a good source of minerals, such as magnesium, iron, zinc, selenium and more! This recipe gives a lot of freedom in terms of toppings, so for those who are craving for some meat, we recommend using shredded chicken or tuna.
- 300g whole spelt flour
- 100g whole rye flour
- 7g instant yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 250ml water, at room temperature.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup sliced grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped red capsicum
- 1 sliced small red onion
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup rocket
- Balsamic glaze for drizzling
- Prepare the pizza dough: combine two kinds of flour in one large bowl.
- Add the yeast to one side of the bowl, and the salt to the other - they shouldn’t touch as the contact with the salt will kill the yeast.
- Add the oil and 3/4 of the water and mix the ingredients together with your fingers until it is a rough dough. Add more of the water if needed, the dough should be quite sticky.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly oiled surface and knead well for at least five minutes.
- Transfer the dough to a gently oiled bowl. Cover the bowl tightly with kitchen towel or a cling film and let it stand in room temperature and double it size for up 2 hours.
- Once the dough has risen transfer it to a flat area, dusted with flour and roll out.
- Preheat oven to 180ºC. Line up a baking tray with a baking sheet, brush it with a bit olive oil
- Transfer the pizza dough onto the baking tray and brush olive oil on top of dough, then sprinkle garlic all over. Lightly spread tomato sauce on top of it using a back of a big spoon.
- Top with sliced mushrooms, tomatoes, peppers and mozzarella - you can add more veggies of your preference.
- Bake about 20 - 25 minutes - until the crust is brown,
Remove from oven and top with fresh rocket and balsamic glaze if preferred.
Slice, serve, eat, enjoy!