Savoury waffles - proteins packed recipe
Have you ever tried waffles in savoury version? Try this recipe for waffles made with hummus, which can be served with toppings of your choice - various spreads, fresh veggies, roasted veggies, extra hummus - anything you like to make it even more healthy. Hummus is a great source of many minerals - including magnesium and iron, it’s packed with proteins which makes this recipe perfect for vegans and vegetarians. It’s also rich in vitamin B6 and thiamine. All these benefits make this recipe a must try!
- ½ cup whole grain flour
- dash of salt
- 1 tbsp ground flax seeds
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ⅓ cup hummus of your preferred flavour
- Grease the waffle iron using non-stick cooking spray or olive oil and preheat.
- Place flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and flax seeds in a medium sized bowl and whisk.
- Add the milk, hummus and olive oil and stir to combine. Batter should be quite thick.
- Pour the mixture onto hot waffle iron and cook until golden brown.
- The waffles are best served warm with toppings and spreads of your choice: hummus, tzatziki, avocado, feta, fresh veggies, roasted veggies, grilled veggies, etc..
Options for toppings of the waffles are countless! Bon appetit!