Sandwich for brain health
If you are a sandwich lover, who’s looking for new inspirations - we introduce you to Omega burger. It’s main ingredient is salmon patty. Salmon is an excellent source of several B vitamins, which are needed for energy production, controlling inflammation, protecting heart and support the health and functioning of brain. It’s also packed with Omega 3 fatty acids, which have been shown to reduce inflammation, lower blood pressure and decrease risk factors for disease. Salmon is rich in proteins as well, which your body needs to to heal, protect bone health and prevent muscle loss. This fish also contains high amount of calcium, selenium and potassium. The benefits of eating salmon are countless, so include this recipe in your menu asap!
- 450g boneless, skin-on salmon fillets (preferably wild, as it’s richer in nutrition)
- 1/3 cup whole-wheat panko crumbs
- 1 large egg
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- 1 cup rocket
- 8 thin red onion slices
- 1 chopped shallot
- 1 tablespoon chopped drained capers
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill
- juice squeezed from one lemon
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground red pepper
- ¼ cup mayonnaise (preferably canola)
- ⅓ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons low fat Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon chili sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Preheat oven in 180 degrees C and place salmon, skin side down, on a foil-lined baking sheet and broil for 5 minutes. Set aside to cool down.
- In a large bowl, combine panko, egg, chopped shallot, capers, parsley, garlic, dill, lemon juice, smoked paprika, red pepper, 2 tablespoons mayonnaise and salt in a large bowl.
- Remove the salmon skin, then mash the salmon in a bowl using fork. Add to panko mixture. Mix until well combined, preferably using your hands. Shape mixture into 4 up to 1 cm thick patties - each patty should be around 140 grams. Cover the patties and chill for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine yogurt, chili, vinegar, remaining 2 tablespoons mayonnaise and dash of salt. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick pan over medium-high. Transfer salmon patties to the pan and cook 4 to 5 minutes per side over medium heat.
- In the meantime spread aioli evenly on inside of the toasted buns. Once the patties turn brownish take them of the heat and place on top bottoms of the buns. Garnish with onion slices and rocket; cover with top halves of buns.
Your Omega burgers are ready! Serve them with a side of additional rocket or homemade sweet potato chips and enjoy!